University life thrives in Canterbury and attracts a diverse range of students from all over the world. We pride ourselves on being able to provide good quality accommodation to suit all requirements.
If you are interested in renting a student property then you need to be aware of the processes and requirements of the tenancy before you apply:
- New applicants will be required to provide a Security Deposit of £400.00 each upon submission of the application form, the first group to lay their full deposit and complete application forms will secure the property. Existing tenants wishing to renew their tenancy for the next year may transfer their Security Deposits to the new tenancy.
- Remember your deposit reserves the property for you. If you change your mind before the tenancy starts, you will forfeit your deposit. Please make sure you are certain of your obligation.
- Tenancies run from 1st July to 30th June with the first two months, July and August, at half rent with no right of occupation, unless otherwise advertised. Should one, any or all of the group wish to occupy the property during July and/or August, full rent for the property will be payable.
- Each applicant must provide a Guarantor. This is a parent or other guarantor who is willing to sign and agree to become liable for the same legal obligations you have agreed to, the guarantee is not limited to any non payment of rent but applies to all items as listed in the guarantee document itself and the tenancy agreement.
- An Administration Fee of £100.00 plus VAT (£120.00) for each new applicant is payable. Existing tenants (2012/13) have a reduced admin fee of £50.00 plus VAT each. There is a £15.00 administration fee plus VAT (£18.00) per student for TDS deposit protection. Total administration payable inclusive of VAT is £138.00 per person.
(Your administration fee covers: production of the tenancy agreement, compiling and posting of the guarantor agreement and pack, production of the inventory, production and postage of the student start pack, check in reminder letters and emails and texts, informing utility companies of tenants details and Canterbury Council of student status, negotiating tenant requests with the landlord, registering the deposit with the relevant deposit protection scheme. This fee also covers the administration during the tenancy for chasing rent, inspection reports, renewal negotiation and your deposit return)
- Rent for the period September – June is payable monthly in advance by Standing Order on the first of each month commencing 1st September.
- Applicants will be jointly and severally liable for the full term of the tenancy.
- Each Applicant is recommended to have a personal contents insurance, ideally which includes accidental damage, in place for the tenancy.
- Receipt of the signed Tenancy Agreement, completed standing order form and payment of July and August rent is required by 1st June. Should payment by one, any or all of the group not be received by this date or should the completed agreement not be received or should one, any or all of the group withdraw, the application will be deemed to have lapsed and the property returned to our Accommodation List with all monies already paid, including carried forward Deposits (excluding rent), being forfeited.
The application form below contains the terms and conditions which you will agree to sign into. The student guide is provided to you once you have completed your application form for information and a reminder of deadlines.
If you would like to view the student tenancy agreement please contact us on 01227 765008 to gain authorisation.